Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Becoming a Mermaid (June 2007)

After leaving OMEGA, my beautiful woodland oasis, I headed back to Brooklyn to attend the annual Mermaid Parade in Coney Island. It was my first Mermaid Parade ever, and in my excitement, I threw together an impromptu costume. When I got to Coney, the streets were packed! I finally decided that to get the best view, I'd have to jump in and dance.



That was the first time I've ever jumped into a parade, and it was superfun! After that, I took a spin around the boardwalk and ran into the Bellydance Sisters! Dondi and Titanya and I, together again.




Then it was time to hit the beach. A friend showed up with a video camera and shot this video of me dancing to a drummer on the pier.



This video is very embarrassing for me! The skill level of dancing here is, frankly, pathetic. Basically, I am just wiggling around (don't I look cute though?) But, I enjoyed myself and I am glad I have something to look back on to show myself how far I have come (someday).

When evening fell I was pretty tired and pouty. When you dance like this, its time to head home.


photo by Christopher @ gothamx media

No comments: