Thursday, November 15, 2007
Around the World in 6 Days
I am back in New York after attending Ansuya's 6-Day Fusion Choreography Intensive in Honolulu, HI. Ansuya taught us 6 choreographies in 6 3-hour sessions. I've never been in a class where we were expected to learn an entire choreography in 3 hours, and I was very suprised at that it was possible. I've already mentioned the drum solo. Over the next 4 days we learned 5 more choreographies, with the final day reserved for performances. I use the term learn loosely. The only one of these dances that I could perform from memory on the spot is the drum solo, and maybe the African, which was very very short. The classes were a lot of fun and it was fun to push myself for that week. Since I've returned I've been asked "Are you a better dancer after your trip to Hawaii?" The answer is yes, but maybe not as much as one would expect. Honestly, learning "fusion" isn't that realistic for someone with fewer than 6 months of experience. I am still refining simple things like turns and transitions and layering. Throwing in Indian mudras is mostly a distraction that I don't want to bother with right now. Why would I sign up for such a class? It was actually some other topic when I signed up, that was changed once I had registered and purchased my plane ticket. But, I don't regret going one bit. I will continue to practice the drum solo, tribal, gypsy, and maybe even the African choreogaphy since it was so much fun. But mostly, It was invaluable to me to spend that week dancing with the amazing women that I met in that class, and talking with them about their lives as dancers. Most memorable are Cat from Japan and Bettie from Taiwan, who I will write more about soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment